Thursday, March 30, 2006

Wherefore art thou, perfect little flat?

You would think that with a Spring season devoted to skimmers and ballerinas it would be very easy to find the perfect little flat... alas, my search has proved rather fruitless. I mean, all I want is a simple pointy leather flat. No added details, no velvet rouching, and please, no sparkly ornaments. I truly detest the rounded toe because, honestly, if you are older than 9 years old, are not a cute little Asian, or are taller than 5'4", you really should not be wearing them. Frankly, you look like you're wearing your little sister's mary janes.
I found a very simple Steve Madden skimmer, but they are just so cheap and uncomfortable. Doesn't that just defeat the purpose of a flat? That's the whole point of a flat... they are meant to be happy medium between high heel and gym shoe.
And what really takes the cake is that whenever you search for flats online, you are bound to get countless hits for godforsaken kitten heels. Enough with the kitten heel! I want a FLAT!
I am, however, kind of intrigued by the Nine West peep toe...








but, again, Nine West isn't exactly high quality. I guess $70 isn't a splurge, but I want a sound investment from this baby. Another cute peep toe by Loeffler Randall (who I've been in love with lately):












But that's just not it, you know? It's not the perfect skimmer. Maybe something more urban and casual about Urban Outfitters?












I would rather die than wear these. I'm a 5'11" Russian, not a petite little Asian. I pull off Proenza Schouler, not Urban Outfitters' take on punk. And while I'm at it, let's look at a round toe that did appeal to me from Anthropologie:








An interesting combination of navy and black, a sumptuous bow, and an elongated round toe. But I would probably never wear these. Ever. In a million years.
Am I missing something? Is there a pointycuteflats.com I overlooked? Perhaps I need to take a break and come back to this fashion conundrum.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's been a while since you wrote this...but I just saw your post!

I sympathize with you completely on having Russian roots(well, it's Ukrainian for me actually)and "[pulling] off Proenza Schoulder, not Urban Outfitters."

Have you tried the Lanvin flat? It's divine. (I actually just posted about it.) I also like the Nine West peep toe...in black. It looks almost exactly like the Christian Louboutin for Derek Lam.

I am also studying economics and working towards a career in fashion. Love your blog. :)

May 28, 2006 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally, you're also an ignorant 5'11 Russian. Way to bag on the Asians because you're a freak.

December 14, 2006 11:53 PM  
Blogger New Yorkaise said...

Not at ALL bagging on the Asians... I was merely commenting that there are certain trends that I cannot pull off because I'm not petite. I'm not sure how you misconstrued my comments as negative, for they were not intended to criticize.
How is that that I am ignorant for clearly stating that I am jealous of many Asian women's ability to wear cute little flats? Yes, it is a generalization that all Asian women are petite, but it's true for the most part.

December 21, 2006 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home