Monday, March 26, 2007

1 Actress = 10 Models?

So if I'm doing my math correctly, American Vogue considers models to be cover-worthy only if there are 10 of them. The annual supermodel issue is coming up in June, with 10 beautiful faces gracing the cover. The other eleven covers of the year, however, are plastered with random celebrities, supposedly to boost sales of a fashion magazine. Maybe this concept of vast consumerization we should just accept and move on.
But then why even have the supermodel issue? Do we even have supermodels anymore? Vogue certainly doesn't think so. If it did, they would actually put the appropriate girls on the cover. We, unfortunately, have to live in a world with Jennifer whoever-the-hell-she-is imposing on my monthly reading.

3 Comments:

Blogger F.M. said...

True... I remember getting hooked on Vogue in the early - mid nineties when its covers were still graced every month with the faces of models. Actresses belong in movies and on the cover of People. Guess it shows what a celebrity-obsessed culture we live in.

March 27, 2007 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completly agree. i belive that models are losing the impact they once had when they where on most covers. I believe that it woulds work infavour of the fashion industies if models were on the cover more often!!!!

April 27, 2007 1:57 AM  
Blogger BeautyinBaltimore said...

I wrote a post about this some time ago. I'm sick of the actresses. I'm sooo happy that maybe the supermodels are returning.

May 03, 2007 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home